Mold is often a silent killer in homes. Most people can detect mold through the musty odor it emits, but often mold deposits can grow behind the walls or in unseen attic/basement corners and then spread through the home's ventilation systems, where the odor is deceitfully masked. Often, affected residents don't know they have a mold problem until they find themselves sneezing, wheezing, coughing, scratching strange skin rashes, and finding it hard to breathe! It is important to recognize any symptoms of mold--either through its odor or through the resultant health effects--and have a mold remediation specialist immediately assess and remove the damage. Do not ignore the initial warning signs, as prolonged exposure to mold can sometimes result in serious illness. Proper mold removal can, in some instances, literally save lives.
Nielsen Environmental provides remediation services from our professionally trained crew to remove your mold damage. Mold remediation projects are the result of uncontrollable sources of bulk water from a natural disaster, including:
- broken water pipes
- sump overflow
- sewer back up.
- floods, hurricanes
- typically gray and black water, even through original source is clean water
Categories of Water
- Category 1: Clean Water
- Category 2: Grey Water
- Category 3: Black Water
Category 1-Clean Water
- Originates from a clean source
- In a relatively short time Cat 1 water can degrade, for example within 48-72 hours on a wet carpet
- Water that started clean but then exposed to contaminants such as the soil or a dirty attic, is no longer Cat 1
Category 2 Grey Water
- Contains a significant level of contamination
- Has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness
- Carries microorganisms and nutrients for microorganisms
- If untreated for longer than 48 hours, may turn to Black Water
Category 3 Black Water
- Contains pathogenic agents and is grossly unsanitary
- Toilet back flow from beyond the tap, regardless of color
- All forms of ground water flooding
Mold Growth after a Water Event
- Water should be dried up within 48 hours
- Typically molds that colonize water damage buildings take 3-10 days to grow.
- Pen/Asp types come first
- Later come Stachybotrys and others
- Stachy typically needs a great deal of water compared to Pen/Asb types. But Stachy will grow readily on glue board cabinet bottoms with minimum water, due to the absorbent nature of the material.
- Not that many buildings will have had earlier water damage, and mold growth may have already started and is now latent.
If you have large deposits of mold in your home or office building, it's dangerous to attempt to remove it yourself (small patches of mold less than a few square feet can be safely removed with a bleach/water combination). Mold remediation is a multi-step process that requires proper safety precautions to avoid direct contamination, and proper waste disposal to avoid contaminating others. Contact Nielsen Environmental and we will handle your mold removal with the same attention to care, detail, and safety that is the hallmark of all our projects.